To learn how to best help babies, researchers checked the records of about 2,500 babies who got BMT between 2000 and 2014. All the babies got BMT with cells donated by other people.
Although BMT helps babies live longer overall, survival rates have not gotten much better over time. This is true for babies of all races in the US. In this study, about one-third (1 of 3) babies lived outside the US.
Compared to adults, babies have a higher risk of these side effects:
- a lung problem called idiopathic pneumonia syndrome
- a liver problem called sinusoidal obstruction syndrome
Researchers said that more studies are needed to find out:
- how to choose the best BMT donors for babies
- which medicines and treatments have fewer side effects for babies
- and which treatments are most helpful for babies