These people were between the ages of 15 and 39 when they got BMT. All had intense preparation for transplant, called myeloablative conditioning. In the 10 years after transplant, some people had late side effects:
- 10% (10 in 100 people) had problems with their testes or ovaries, which sometimes may affect fertility
- 10% had cataracts, an eye problem that causes blurred vision
- 8% had avascular necrosis, a bone or joint problem
- 5% had diabetes
- 4% had a new cancer, such as skin cancer
- 3% had low levels of thyroid hormones
These problems can be treated. If caught early, some may cause fewer symptoms. It’s important to see a doctor yearly, even long after transplant.