If a donor was found within 90 days, then patients got BMT. Otherwise, patients got other types of therapies. After 3 years:
- About half the people who got BMT were alive;
- Only about a quarter of the people who did not get BMT were alive;
- Quality of life after BMT was similar whether patients got BMT or not.
Experts say community doctors and transplant doctors should team up to care for people with MDS. They should work with insurance companies and patient advocacy groups to:
- Spread the news about BMT for older patients;
- Help patients visit a transplant center to find a donor for BMT early;
- Make health care affordable;
- Provide emotional support for patients and families;
- Help patients and families to get transportation and housing if they need to travel for transplant;
- Listen to and collaborate with communities of color.